Tuesday, July 8, 2014

New Music Review: Sebastian Bach – Give ‘Em Hell

                Who remembers Skid Row from the late 80’s?  Who remembers Sebastian Bach, the volatile frontman that was eventually jettisoned from the band after three albums?  He actually has a solo career!  Can you believe that?  It hasn’t been great or garnered a lot of attention, but he’s plugging away at it just the same.  His newest release Give ‘Em Hell follows in the steps of his previous efforts, to the point of being derivative.  You would think this would be hard to do considering the fact that he has had different musicians backing him up on each record, but they manage to accomplish it in spades here. 

                The musicians involved all do a great job, and Bach is still a good vocalist, even though he has decided that screaming is more important than singing when it comes to his solo career, but the simple fact that it feels like I have heard all of these songs before on subsequent Bach albums lead me to not care too much for what this album contains.  If none of the songs can stand out in the album they’re in, much less from any of the albums before, then I find it hard to get excited.  The fact that I kind of fought with myself in terms of whether or not I actually wanted to drop the $12 fir this album shows how much confidence I had in it to begin with.


                I don’t dislike this album, and it actually sounds better with each subsequent listen, but it does say something that the best track on the album “Rock and Roll is a Vicious Game” is a cover of an old April Wine tune.  The rest of the album is one large sonic mass that is ok, but not great.  If any of the songs come up in a random playlist, I won’t skip them, but I don’t see myself seeking out the tracks from this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment