Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Music Review: Govt Mule – Dark Side of the Mule

                I am not a huge Pink Floyd fan, never have been.  I like the classics, sure, but the deep cuts just don’t do it for me.  I am, however, a huuuuge Govt Mule fan.  They may be one of my favorite bands of all time.  A couple years ago, they put out a CD where they covered Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy, and it was awesome, and Warren Haynes and company rarely ever disappoint on a live album (though their studio albums can be hit and miss) so I knew I had to pick this up. 

                While the source material is not my cup of tea, I have heard the entire Dark Side of the Moon album, and from what I remember, this is a great replica of that.  As with every Govt. Mule experience, the guitar work is as good as you could ever ask while the vocals fit perfectly.  I could listen to Warren Haynes sing me the musical version of Mein Kampf and be soothed to sleep.  My favorite tracks are the classics though, which Govt Mule performs to perfection.  “Comfortably Numb”, “Wish You Were Here” and “Shine on You Crazy Diamond” (Parts 1-9) are great songs in their own right and translate incredibly to the Jam Band style that Govt Mule has perfected. 

                The rest of the band is exactly what you would expect as well, quality music from accomplished musicians that work to highlight Haynes’ signature sound.  The band doesn’t miss a beat in the different style and sound that Pink Floyd is to theirs and if Warren gave up the vocal duties, you might even think you were at a Pink Floyd show. 


All in all, Govt Mule has made Dark Side of the Moon their own while sticking closely to the source material.  It’s a great album to add to the concert playlist of the band and an album that my Pink Floyd loving father (and anyone that is a fan of either band) will most certainly enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment