Friday, July 19, 2013

True Story

When I was a line cook at the hospital for the maternity floor, this would happen every single night.  The dietitian didn't want o walk from his office to the kitchen more than once or twice a night so he would horde orders for a good half hour to forty-five minutes and then drop them on me all at once.  

This is actually how I got the chef's job at the hospital as well.  I started out working in the cafeteria (I wasn't a volunteer like Shrimpy, I actually had a job there) and one night they were short a guy on the line and asked me to fill in once my shift in the cafeteria was over.  I said yes of course because, duh, overtime, but also because I love to cook (it was mostly for the money though).  Well I subbed that day and never went back to the cafeteria full time after that.  They kept me in the actual kitchen, mostly cooking on the line for the maternity floor, with other assorted duties that come with cooking in a large kitchen like that as well.  It would have been a feel-good story if it wasn't in a hospital kitchen for a couple bucks an hour.  That goes to show you though, if you get an opportunity to advance, take the reins and do it.  Knock their socks off and they will find a place for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment