Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Masochist Music Review: Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos

                What can I say, I’m a masochist when it comes to music.  I like to have complete catalogues when it comes to my favorite musicians.  Sometimes this is a good thing (Alice Cooper, AC/DC) but oftentimes it’s not.  Not only that, but I used to fall into the trap of hearing one or two great songs and purchasing a whole album because of it, which sometimes produced a diamond, but usually only coal.  During this series, we will dwell on some of the albums I have in my collection that are downright terrible.  I will re-listen to them all and give you my impression of them.

Now this is only my opinion, so don’t take it as gospel.  If you like a particular album in this series, let me know, we’ll open up a discussion about it.  I’m always open to discussing the merits of any particular album, and if you have any suggestions (and especially if you have the album itself and are willing to share your views) then let me know and I’d be happy to add it to the list.

Album Name: Dedicated to Chaos

Artist:  Queensryche

Release Date: 2011

Why you bought it:  Even though I wasn’t overly impressed with any recent Queensryche releases, I was hopeful that they would turn it around.  I was wrong, so very wrong.

First impressions:  I think I only listened to it once or twice, which should tell you all you need to know. 

Impressions upon listening to it recently:  I can understand why I shelved it back when I did.  Any highlights in this album (as few and far between as they may be) are overshadowed by the terribleness that is everything else on this album.  It doesn’t sound like Queensryche, hell even sub-par Queensryche (Q2K) is better than this. 

Best Track:  “Get Started” is okay, and probably sounds the closest to a Queensryche song of anything on the album. 

Worst Track:  “Got it Bad” sounds nothing like any Queensryche song I’ve heard before, and not in a good way.  The rest of the album is just jumbled drivel that sounds equal parts over-produced and unfinished.

Any saving grace?:  Not really.  It’s not like we can even hope the band can redeem itself with any subsequent release as they split up and each released an album with their own “version” of Queensryche.  They were on a downward spiral for awhile though, I think it was destined for the band to part ways after this release. 


Was it worth the purchase?:  Only if you can find it super cheap as you will probably only listen to it once or twice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment