Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Masochist Music Review -

What can I say, I’m a masochist when it comes to music.  I like to have complete catalogues when it comes to my favorite musicians.  Sometimes this is a good thing (Alice Cooper, AC/DC) but oftentimes it’s not.  Not only that, but I used to fall into the trap of hearing one or two great songs and purchasing a whole album because of it, which sometimes produced a diamond, but usually only coal.  During this series, we will dwell on some of the albums I have in my collection that are downright terrible.  I will re-listen to them all and give you my impression of them.

Now this is only my opinion, so don’t take it as gospel.  If you like a particular album in this series, let me know, we’ll open up a discussion about it.  I’m always open to discussing the merits of any particular album, and if you have any suggestions (and especially if you have the album itself and are willing to share your views) then let me know and I’d be happy to add it to the list.

Album Name:  Poison’d

Artist:  Poison

Release Date:  2007

Why you bought it:  I’m still trying to figure that out.  I mean, I have other Poison albums, but combining a cover album with a band well past its prime is a recipe for disaster.

First impressions:  It was okay for a cover album, but nothing special at all as the covers stayed pretty true to the originals.  In fact, the covers themselves seemed a little tame, like Poison was just going through the motions.

Impressions upon listening to it recently:  The covers are still incredibly tame.  “Little Willy” and Alice Cooper’s “I Never Cry” are good, but the rest is generic karaoke-bar fodder.

Any saving grace?:  The two songs mentioned above but that’s it.


Was it worth the purchase?:  Nope, like most cover albums, this showed a steep decline in Poison’s ability to make compelling music.  This is probably one of the main reasons we have yet to see an actual album of new material from Poison since this dropped in 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment