Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Late to the Party Video Game Review: South Park The Stick of Truth

                I have had South Park since it was released but have avoided it while I finished up other games, hoping to play it through without stopping and starting like I did for many of the other games on this list.  Having some free space in my gaming schedule, I decided to pick up South Park and give it a shot.  Not being a huge fan of turn-based role playing games a la Final Fantasy, I was a little worried, but hoped that the writing and familiar characters would help me overcome that distaste.

                What I got was a game that, while it was still a turn-based RPG, it did not make those turns as painful as I remember them being from old Nintendo games of yore.  The action was fast paced and interesting, the looting was epic, there is literally (that’s a pun) garbage all over for you to rummage through and turn in to the various vendors out there in South Park.  There were also plenty of collectables to gather in this game, from Chinpokomon, to Facebook friends, to all of the weapons, armor and enhancements scattered throughout the town (including the forest, farm and Canada – yes, Canada).  Searching for all of the collectables takes up a good amount of your time itself, but the bulk is obviously devoted to the missions. 

Being that this is an RPG, the missions are broken up into both story missions and side missions that don’t require you to beat them but that offer plenty of incentive to do so.  Not only do you acquire experience points by completing side missions (an important thing to do during an RPG, even if you are capped at level 15, a level I achieved long before the final stage, let alone the final battle) but you also get better loot and even summon abilities (Jesus, Mr. Hanky and the owner of City Wok to name a few) which provide a powerful ally that basically kills anyone you are fighting (except bosses).  The kicker with the summon buddies is that you can only use their ability once per “day” (there are three days in the game). 

The writing is exactly what you would expect from a South Park game that is unrestricted by censors of any kind.  While the unfettered cursing and suggestive items are funny enough, the nudity for nudity’s sake (even if it’s cut-paper animated nudity) seems a little ridiculous.  I could have done without those instances, but overall the majority of the interactions involve the usual gang of kids from South Park and in that respect it is just like an episode of the show.  Everything fits together quite nicely between the quests, the cut scenes and the battles and it all works well within the general framework of the game, which basically pits two factions against one another who then need to come together to fight a common enemy at the end.  While that is a traditional comic book/fantasy trope, it is wholly believable here because these kids are all friends and we know that going in. 

Trey Parker and Matt Stone do an incredible job of creating the town of South Park within the game and getting us to care about the town we live in.  The only problem I have is that we do not spend enough time in the town.  Even completing all of the side quests and finding probably 75% of the collectables, I was still able to finish the game in roughly 12-15 hours.  The last part of the game was a cakewalk as I had already reached my max level and had powered up my weapons with add-ons that basically made the fights incredibly one-sided.  While I’m not too mad about that last part, I put in the time to get to that level after all, the fact that one slow, lonely day could provide me with enough time to beat the game feels like a bit of a ripoff in this day and age of 50-60 hour game completion times. 


Beyond the painfully short play time, this game was everything I was hoping it would be when I heard that it was coming out.  I’m glad I picked it up and will definitely be doing so if they ever get around to making a sequel.  Even if you are not a fan of turn-based RPGs, I would advise you check this out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment