Monday, May 6, 2013

A Sketch-tastic success!


                I am definitely glad that I waited a couple days before I wrote this because even though I was exhausted after sketching all day (it’s tiring even though you’re in a seated position for twelve hours, trust me) I was wired because of the confidence in humanity that was instilled in me.  Trying to get a coherent thought out in the form of a blog post would have been difficult in that condition.  You may not have guessed it, but I’m kind of a cynical S.O.B. when it comes to humanity (and if you didn’t know that then you need to go back and read more of this site).  However sitting at Destiny USA all day long, seeing the good and the bad that crossed my path, I was able to witness firsthand that the positive can, and usually does outweigh the negative.  I want to share a few of my observations and Nik will be doing so as well in a separate piece. 

                First things first, my phone was dead the entire day or else I would have been on social media trying to promote the event like crazy.  It’s convenient that that was the day that my battery decided to crap out, but in a way it was a blessing.  I was able to concentrate more on sketching and interacting with the people that came over instead of having my nose buried in a phone.  Besides, people like Trevor Hobbs and Bee Vang took care of that with their Facebook and Youtube posts.  They were the unofficial social media directors and that effort was greatly appreciated. 

                It’s true that the main goal of this event was to raise money for Autism Speaks (which we did, to the tune of $666.00 - How freaking metal is that!?), but another big part of it, and this became more apparent as the day went along, was raising awareness.  On many an occasion, an individual would approach me and thank me for bringing Autism out into the open, for raising awareness for something that was a lifestyle to them.  If it wasn’t the person themselves it was their parent or a teacher that came up and expressed the same gratitude.  This was far more rewarding than the actual monetary donations (though those were greatly appreciated, don’t get me wrong).  One of the first individuals to approach the table in the morning was an Autistic gentleman that just wanted to offer his thanks and drop $5 in the pot.  In exchange, he scooped up a sketch of Venom and walked off happy.  This was pretty consistent throughout the day and there were plenty of other people that were able to find something that they wanted on the table o’ sketches, and if they weren’t their requests were completed (I drew a pretty kick-ass Cookie Monster for a little girl which may have been one of my favorite pieces of the day).  There were even a couple instances where I was asked to draw people.  People that were standing there in front of me.  Talk about pressure!  I think they came out okay though and it was a treat to draw the little kids for their parents. 

                The high point of the day had to be the gentleman that came up to the table and said that he thought he was Autistic.  He explained some of the trials that he deals with on a daily basis, and it sounded like a valid concern.  My brother, Nik and I tried to point him in the right direction by giving him some of the informational material that Autism Speaks provided and also stressed the importance of talking to his own doctor about his concerns.  The guy didn’t walk away with a sketch, but he hopefully walked away with a greater understanding of his options and a path to follow to hopefully get where he needs to go.  As great as it was to see kids walk off with a drawing of their favorite character, or the girl going to see Iron Man with her mother come over (and leave with) an Iron Man sketch (among others, her and her mother got about four sketches in total), the fact that we may have been able to actually help someone ranks up there with the highlights of the day.  Good luck to you sir, whoever you are.  I hope you get what you need.

                A few quick notes before I get into the thank you’s:

1.       I knew I had a sale on my hands when a woman with a KISS t-shirt and tattoo came over with her husband.  They promptly dropped a twenty dollar bill on the table and walked off with all four of the KISS sketches that I did.


2.       Frank Cammuso stopped by the table.  I think he was just walking around with his son and happened upon it, but he stopped by nonetheless.  If you are not from Syracuse, or you are and live under a rock, Frank is THE cartoonist in Syracuse.  He is the cartoonist for the local newspaper, providing illustrations and political cartoons for the Post Standard and has been doing so for as long as I can remember.  He is also the author of a number of kid-friendly graphic novels.  This is his website, I urge you to check it out.  It didn’t hit me until I got home that he had stopped by the table.  He mentioned his name, and it sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place it at the time.  But it was definitely a cool experience to have Frank happen upon the table at that point.  Hi Frank, sorry we didn’t get to chat.  Hit me up if you want a sketch of The Masked Shrimp.


3.       Frank wasn’t the only higher-profile individual to stop by as News Channel 9 (most of you around Syracuse know it as the one not featuring Michael Benny) stopped out and did a quick interview that they ran on that evening’s news as well as their website.  You can watch the video and read the article here


4.       The generosity of some people was just ridiculous.  It was obviously appreciated, but one example was a group of about four gentlemen.  One of the guys came over, and threw five dollars in the pot and grabbed a sketch, then it looked like he went over and either showed the sketch to his friends or just asked them to come over and follow suit, which they all did.  Then, to top it all off, the first guy came back over and dropped even more money in the pot.  I don’t know if they had a personal connection to Autism or if they were just feeling generous, but their contributions were much appreciated. 


5.       I learned that, when in doubt, ask your family for sketch ideas.  Nik, Brandon and Raven all threw out ideas when I was starting to hit a wall that sold (except for Albert Einstein riding one of the Aliens from Alien but I’m convinced that just didn’t get out there with enough time left to do it justice).


6.       Never underestimate the power of brand recognition.  As soon as people saw the Autism Speaks blue puzzle piece they came right over and at least looked a little closer at what was going on.  This was similar to the sketches themselves as people would start to walk by the table and then as their eyes caught a drawing of a character they knew they would walk slower and linger.  You could see the wheels turning as to whether they wanted to stop and ask what was going on or not.  Sometimes this worked, sometimes it didn’t.  It was effective nonetheless. 

Now on to the thank you’s:

1.       First things first, I want to thank Destiny USA (Kim Hall in particular who stuck with me through some ups and downs insurance-wise) for providing a great venue to host the event at.  I want to also thank Avalon Document Services, my home away from home, for providing all of the printed materials for the Sketch-A-Thon and Maeve Mackenzie over at Autism Speaks for giving me the go-ahead to do something a little non-traditional in terms of fundraising.


2.       A huge thank you needs to go out to my siblings.  Nik, Brandon and Raven.  When I came up with this idea a couple months back, I had the expectation that I would be flying solo for much of the day as asking anyone to spend twelve hours doing anything is just crazy-talk. Those three came through in a huge way, not only being there as support, but also by pitching in, with Brandon and Raven helping on art and Nik using his natural speaking ability to talk to those that came by as I was usually drawing at the time (naturally).  The combination of the four of us not only made everything run smoother, but it was honestly the quickest twelve hours I have ever experienced in my life, and at least part of that is due to the people I got to spend it with. 


3.       A big thanks goes out to Trevor Hobbs and Bee Vang who not only came out and donated, but stuck around and helped (they were the unofficial social media directors).  Trevor also used his Twitter handle @dailydiscgolf to help promote the event.  Follow him, especially if you like disc golf.


4.       Scott Herman and the entire Open Figure Drawing crew (including the model!) for coming down and creating an attraction which in the early going I am sure helped to bring people over.  Your support and willingness to sacrifice some of your time on a beautiful Saturday afternoon is greatly appreciated. 


5.       Everyone that knows me or my brothers that came out to Destiny USA and donated.  I can’t thank you enough for doing so.


6.       To Danielle Anthony and Jana Gozzi for donating their time and artwork to help support the cause.  You two may not have been there physically but you were there in spirit.


7.       Lindsay Esposito, Logan’s mother for not only watching the boys so that I could do this (though I heard that Hayden was quite miffed that I wasn’t there for bed-time) but also for providing the jewelry that sold incredibly well, and for posting about the Sketch-A-Thon as much as you did (I’m pretty sure it was Lindsay that got Channel 9 out there). 


8.       To my parents for being supportive of this endeavor and for raising my brothers and I with the moral fortitude to want to give instead of take.

The Sketch-A-Thon may be finished, but this is not the end of the line.  In two weeks (May 19) I will be at the Autism Walk at Longbranch Park in Liverpool, selling sketches and basically doing the same thing all over again (just a condensed version as this event is only three hours long from 9-12) so if you missed me at the original Sketch-A-Thon, come on down to Sketch-A-Thon Jr. and I’ll draw you something fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment