Thursday, May 23, 2013

Comic Review - The Sixth Gun #31


                I’ve heard good things about The Sixth Gun from Oni Press.  Why I’ve waited this long to review it I have no idea, but here we go.


Cover:
                The cover gimmick, using the title to separate two different, but related, images is a great effect.  I don’t remember seeing it utilized quite in that way.  In fact the closest I can think of is some of the more recent (and by recent I mean in the last two years or so) Invincible covers where Ryan Ottley would draw the primary image on the cover and leave a square for Cory Walker to draw a separate image pertaining to the part of the story that he was drawing (or vice versa).  That was part of the plan though as they each drew a separate story within that universe, Ottley drawing the adventures of the titular hero while Walker drew (if I remember correctly) a story involving Robot and Monster Girl in a different dimension.

                What I am trying to say is that I have seen the cover gimmick used in a fashion but not quite in this way, and I really like it.  Artist Brian Hurtt and colorist Bill Crabtree do an excellent job of setting a mood for the comic while also telling a story on the cover at the same time.  It’s not readily apparent whether the evil characters of the top panel are chasing the female figure in the bottom, but you can kind of assume that they will be.  The fact that the movement in each panel is going from left to right helps (and I shouldn’t have to say that but there are some covers/panels that get that wrong.  Hurtt situated everything perfectly so that no pertinent information is lost by the large logo (which I am quite fond of) and nothing is obscured.  Of course, he’s been doing this for 31 issues so far, I would assume that he’s got this down to a science by now. 

                While the cover tells a story, it leaves quite a bit of mystery as well.  Who are the evil characters in the top panel?  For that matter, who is the girl in the bottom panel?  I assume that it’s the main character, but you never know. Also, what is the shadow in the cave?  So much mystery and honestly, more story than you find in some comic books contained right on the cover. 

                The art itself is top notch.  I love the framing using the silhouetted trees in the bottom panel, and hiding half of the girl in the shadows, as if she’s emerging into a clearing to go to the ominous red cave (why would anyone willingly go into the red cave?)  I will get into this more when I talk about the interior art, but Hurtt has a certain quality about his work that reminds me of Jeff Smith.  Maybe it’s the locale brings to mind the setting of Bone, but from the first few pages I was hooked.  The only complaint I have (and it’s minimal) is that the blue of the logo is a little too similar to the purple of the rock.  Where the top panel separates itself from the logo, the bottom panel tends to blend in a little too much.

9/10 – Hurtt can teach a class on mood, storytelling and composition based on the cover work alone.  Crabtree (as always) delivers a well-colored, expressive piece.

Story:
                This is issue two of the “Ghost Dance” storyline.  That being said, I had a bit of dread in the back of my mind when I picked it up.  Being thrown into the middle of a story usually means that the reader is lost in terms of the characters and the story.  Compound this with the fact that the we are on issue thirty-one, and it was double dread.  Hey look, there’s a recap page that also has a handy character guide.  Cullen Bunn, you’ve thought of everything, haven’t you?  Okay, I’m getting ahead of myself.  Let’s see how the rest of the book stacks up, as a good comic is not made from just a solid recap-page. 

                The first thing I noticed (in terms of the writing at least) is how old-school this felt.  Things were explained, character’s names were thrown about freely, introducing everyone organically within the flow of the story, but definitely introducing them nonetheless.  There were even narration boxes!  This is like seeing a tiger in the wild.  You hear that they are out there but until you see one yourself it’s all speculation.  Bunn also creates a decent balance as in the beginning, when exposition is needed, it is given in spades.  When the action starts toward the middle of the book, the writing starts to fizzle out, to give way to the action.  It’s almost as if Bunn and Hurtt had an agreement where each got half the book to showcase their talents.  You can definitely see the two creators working in harmony, each with a respect for the other’s individual talents.

                I was a little confused as to the inclusion of dragons on the last page as (main character) Becky is journeying through the spirit world, but I have absolute faith that this will be explained next issue.  Bunn has done a stellar job of building a world and giving it weight and consequence.
9/10 – I’m already kind of a sucker for westerns, so the score was probably going to be inflated a bit because of that.  I honestly enjoyed the comic though.  It did one thing that many comics nowadays fail to do which is pull a new reader in in the middle of a storyline by providing a solid issue that doesn’t take an intimate knowledge of the characters to understand and appreciate.

Art:
                As I stated above, Hurtt’s artwork has a very Jeff Smith quality to it in terms of the pacing and the storytelling.  The artistic style itself is reminiscent of the Bone and Rasl creator and I have a feeling if the color was removed it would feel even closer to that.  The characters all have their own personalities; no one is a throwaway, cookie-cutter type and you can see that in the way that they are illustrated.  Each individual is just that, from their height to their facial features and expressions, you can see that time was spent in crafting these characters instead of just giving one a black hat and one a brown hat. 

                Hurtt handles both the text heavy first half and the more action oriented second half with equal amounts of ease and professionalism.  With some artists you can tell that they either do the action sequences first because it’s more fun, or they just put more effort into them because they know that those pages will sell better (and for more) as original art than a bunch of talking heads would.  I don’t get that vibe from Hurtt (at least on this issue) as he treats each panel and each page as if it is the most important one in the series, much less the book itself.  This is how it should be, obviously, and the fact that Hurtt is not only an incredible talent, but obviously a professional about his artwork puts him well above many of the other artists out there that probably have much higher-profile jobs. 

                I also want to mention Bill Crabtree on the colors.  I’ve known about Crabtree for quite some time as he was the colorist of Invincible for a long time, and he has always been great at his job.  The Sixth Gun seems to offer even more for him to play with in terms of creating a mood using color (especially in this issue).  Between switching between the two worlds as well as using more “traditional” light sources such as fire and natural light, it creates a different, weightier aesthetic than his traditional superhero work did.  I haven’t been witness to Crabtree’s entire career arc, but I would venture a guess that this is some of the best work of his career.


Is it just me or does that look like a zombie George Washington?



This is probably my favorite beat of the whole comic, and what really reminded me of Bone



Just look at the characters represented here and tell me that Hurtt doesn't have a knack for unique character design.


This is a great page.  It doesn't require dialogue to tell the story because Hurtt does an incredible job of showing us who Becky is and her true character.

10/10 – Absolutely superb.  In the hands of a less-capable couple of artists, this would be a hard book to like, but Hurtt and Crabtree do an astounding job of not only telling the story, but showcasing their talent at the same time. 

Overall:  9/10 – Go buy this book.  In fact, go buy issues one through thirty as well.  I have a feeling I will be doing so very soon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment