Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Masochist Music review Amen Death Before Musick

What can I say, I’m a masochist when it comes to music.  I like to have complete catalogues when it comes to my favorite musicians.  Sometimes this is a good thing (Alice Cooper, AC/DC) but oftentimes it’s not.  Not only that, but I used to fall into the trap of hearing one or two great songs and purchasing a whole album because of it, which sometimes produced a diamond, but usually only coal.  During this series, we will dwell on some of the albums I have in my collection that are downright terrible.  I will re-listen to them all and give you my impression of them.

Now this is only my opinion, so don’t take it as gospel.  If you like a particular album in this series, let me know, we’ll open up a discussion about it.  I’m always open to discussing the merits of any particular album, and if you have any suggestions (and especially if you have the album itself and are willing to share your views) then let me know and I’d be happy to add it to the list.

Album Name:  Death Before Musick

Artist:  Amen

Release Date:  2004

Why you bought it:  Amen opened for Brides of Destruction back in 2004.  I went for the headliner but enjoyed the energy that Amen brought to the performance so figured I would give their most recent (at that time) album a try. 

First impressions:  While the energy was there, the music was pretty damn unintelligible and, in my opinion, downright unlistenable.  Without the live act to back it up, the music didn’t really hold up.

Impressions upon listening to it recently:  It’s all way too similar in tempo and ferocity to really be good listening.  Maybe I’m just getting old, but I’d rather hear something, anything else interspersed within the album, a guitar solo, something to break up the unrelenting wall of noise.

Any saving grace?:  Sometimes the hooks in the songs are a little catchy, but between the screaming and the unrelenting wall of noise, nothing really stands out.


Was it worth the purchase?:  Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment