Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Black Label Society: Not All Great Bands Avoid Syracuse

                It is impossible to explain my excitement when one of my favorite bands of all time, Black Label Society, led by guitar messiah Zakk Wylde, announced not only were they touring, but coming to Syracuse, a scant fifteen minute jaunt down route 81.  My lovely fiancée purchased tickets for me as a Christmas gift, and wound up accompanying me when my brother, the original recipient of the other ticket, was unable due to the fact that the concert date was moved and his work schedule could not do the same.  It’s odd that Black Label Society even made it to Syracuse, as many bands just refuse to come here (with good reason, Syracuse is awful).  When Motley Crue came around for their farewell tour, Alice Cooper opened for them on nearly all of the dates except Syracuse.  Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper were set to play Syracuse a couple years ago but backed out at the last minute and went to Buffalo instead.  Syracuse is like that girl that everyone knows has herpes that only the desperate guys will fuck.  Black Label Society is not desperate though, they could play anywhere else (and they have!) so the fact that they stopped by the Salt City made me one happy camper.

                First things first, the venue, the F-Shed, was a roomy place.  A decent concert venue if you didn’t factor in the fact that the sound system was atrocious.  This may be one of the worst sounding concerts in terms of the technical aspect of the show that I have ever been to.  Somehow, someway, it didn’t interfere with Black Label as much as the two opening bands, but shit, it was terrible.  It would have to be a great band and a decent ticket price for me to even consider visiting the F-Shed again.

                The first band, Butcher Babies was beyond bad, in my opinion.  I am not a fan of scream-metal bands, especially ones fronted by women, so my judgment is naturally going to be colored in this respect, but my goodness, they were bad.  Unintelligible, loud for loud’s sake.  Hell, any time there are two singers in a band, I get nervous.  With Butcher Babies it was for good reason.  Hatebreed was a bit more intelligible, but still loud and screamy, and just not my cup of tea.  I am glad they had a relatively short set as they were not at all what I was there to see.

                Now, the headliner, Black Label Society, did exactly what they do every time.  They came out and just tore the roof off the place from the very beginning.  Zakk was at his absolute best, despite a grueling tour schedule, and the rest of the band was just awesome.  I hate to say it, because it’s hard to see Black Label without him, but I didn’t even miss Nick Catanese as his replacement, Dario Lorina stepped in and killed it.  Though I will say, next to Zakk, Dario looks emaciated and it makes for a funny side by side image. 


                The music was superb, with Zakk mixing it up, with a little from nearly every album (though I don’t remember much from Order of the Black which is a shame).  Zakk even played piano for “In This River” while Lorina tickled the ivories for “Angel of Mercy”.  It was a solid a night of music as I can remember seeing in a long time, even with the auditory headaches of the F-Shed.  If you have the opportunity, I cannot recommend a show any more highly than Black Label Society.  This may be one of the best concerts you ever go to, seriously.  

No comments:

Post a Comment