Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Masochist Music Review: Megadeth - Risk

What can I say, I’m a masochist when it comes to music.  I like to have complete catalogs when it comes to my favorite musicians.  Sometimes this is a good thing (Alice Cooper, AC/DC) but oftentimes it’s not.  Not only that, but I used to fall into the trap of hearing one or two great songs and purchasing a whole album because of it, which sometimes produced a diamond, but usually only coal.  During this series, we will dwell on some of the albums I have in my collection that are downright terrible.  I will re-listen to them all and give you my impression of them.

Now this is only my opinion, so don’t take it as gospel.  If you like a particular album in this series, let me know, we’ll open up a discussion about it.  I’m always open to discussing the merits of any particular album, and if you have any suggestions (and especially if you have the album itself and are willing to share your views) then let me know and I’d be happy to add it to the list.

Album Name: Risk

Artist:  Megadeth

Release Date: August, 1999

Why you bought it:  This was actually my first Megadeth album.  I think I bought it in 2001 after I saw the Megadeth “Behind the Music” on Vh1.  I think it was the only Megadeth album in the store at the time or something, so it was my first by default.  I liked the music that was included on the “Behind the Music” show and went in search of it. 

First impressions:  While I didn’t find any of the classic Megadeth tracks on this album, I didn’t mind what I did find.  Honestly, at this point I didn’t know any better as I didn’t have anything to compare it to aside from a few snippets of the band’s music on the Vh1 special.  I remember listening to it quite a bit during the spring of my senior year as I drove to and from work. 

Impressions upon listening to it recently:  If you listen to all of the Megadeth albums released before this one, and then all of the ones released since this one, it’s easy to wonder where this musical direction came from.  For awhile, the band seemed to be getting more and more of a “mainstream” sound to it, yet they still had that edge.  This album erased that edge completely.  For someone that had never sat down and listened to Rust in Peace or Killing is my Business... this was fine.  Now, I know better.  While I don’t get filled with venom over the direction of the record like many of the hardcore Megadeth fans did upon its release in 1999, I rarely seek out this album when I am looking to listen to some Megadeth. 

Any saving grace?:    The best part about this record is that it was such a colossal bomb that Dave Mustaine basically took the band back over.  Instead of collaborating with producers on the album, he has been the sole creative force ever since.  This has returned Megadeth to their previous form and created memorable albums since then.  The fact that practically every album in Megadeth’s catalogue is represented in their live set except for this one is a good representation of how Risk is viewed.  


Was it worth the purchase?: At the time it opened my eyes to a new band that I have grown very fond of.  In that respect it was well worth the purchase.  I wouldn’t (and didn’t) pay full price for it though, so think of that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment