Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Masochist Music Review: Poison - Hollyweird

What can I say, I’m a masochist when it comes to music.  I like to have complete catalogues when it comes to my favorite musicians.  Sometimes this is a good thing (Alice Cooper, AC/DC) but oftentimes it’s not.  Not only that, but I used to fall into the trap of hearing one or two great songs and purchasing a whole album because of it, which sometimes produced a diamond, but usually only coal.  During this series, we will dwell on some of the albums I have in my collection that are downright terrible.  I will re-listen to them all and give you my impression of them.

Now this is only my opinion, so don’t take it as gospel.  If you like a particular album in this series, let me know, we’ll open up a discussion about it.  I’m always open to discussing the merits of any particular album, and if you have any suggestions (and especially if you have the album itself and are willing to share your views) then let me know and I’d be happy to add it to the list.

Album Name:  Hollyweird

Artist:  Poison

Release Date:  2002

Why you bought it:  I had either just been to, or was going to a concert where Poison was playing, I think it was when they were playing with Skid Row and Vince Neil, but don’t remember for certain, and decided that I wanted to hear some Poison.  Hollyweird was either the only Poison album available, or the cheapest one available at the time. 

First impressions:  I didn’t really know Poison that well, just the singles, and not even all of those but I thought that it was okay, not great at all, but not the worst.

Impressions upon listening to it recently:  It’s just generic, sappy pop.  Poison was never the best band to come out of this genre in the 80’s, but they were at least decent, and the bluesier albums they put out in the early to mid 90’s were actually pretty good.  This is a far cry from any of that though as the songs here are just fluff pieces.

Any saving grace?:  The Who’s “Squeeze Box” is a decent, if quite vanilla, cover, but it’s probably the best track on the album.


Was it worth the purchase?:  For a complete original album catalogue, maybe. For the actual content, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment