Monday, March 10, 2014

The Villain Bracket: Breakdown

            I love March Madness.  I love filling out my bracket, and I love watching it unfold over the month.  Hell, I even love the selection show.  In the spirit of one of the best times of the year, we are bringing back the Eat @ Shrimpy’s annual bracket.  This year, we want you, the people, to choose your favorite villain of all time.  Joining me in the analysis of this bracket is my brother Nik.

            A note about the selection and seeding process.  The villains were split into four different categories, comic books, movies, cartoons and video games.  I completely admit that I have probably forgotten someone’s favorite villain in there somewhere, but I think there’s a fairly decent representation of some of the best rogues of all time.  Obviously, I probably could have done an entire Batman or X-Men villains bracket, but I wanted to mix that up a bit.

            Yes, there is some crossover, you can make a case for Megatron in all four regions for example, but I tried to categorize the villain in an area that they were most known for.  You can absolutely take everything into account, all of the dastardly deeds in every medium, when you make your final determination as to who is the vilest of all time, but that’s up to you.

Okay Nik, before we get into the breakdown of the individual matchups, what’s your general thoughts on the bracket itself?  Do you think the seedings are accurate?  What are your predictions? We’ll pick our projected winner of each region, a big upset and a potential sleeper pick (from the lower seeds) that could come out of nowhere and shock the world. 

Nik: This is year two for me doing this, and no matter how many times you explain it to me, I still have no idea what “seedings” are. There are very few on the list this year that I don’t recognize, and have some fondness for, so I’m pretty excited for this season. This feels more personal to me than the cartoons from last year, even.
I’m really excited to see people’s reactions and see where things flow along the weeks.

Region one – Comic Books:

Matt:
            This region is near and dear to my heart, for obvious reasons, and while I could have filled it up with worthy villains from just Marvel comics, I wanted to try and mix it up a bit.  It’s interesting how things will work though, will people take this as the old “who would win in a fight” challenge?  If that’s the case, I would have to think that Galactus at number five could run the table, because it’s freaking Galactus.  However, I think this might be an amalgam of that with a “who’s cooler” kind of thing, or “who’s more of a villain”.  In that, I would have to go Dr. Doom, all the way.

            By the way, if you’re wondering why Venom isn’t higher on this list, it’s because he’s not even really a villain anymore, so while he still makes the cut, he’s not as high as he would be had he stayed the angry, Spider-Man hating villain that he was upon his initial introduction.

Winner:  Dr. Doom (1)
Sleeper:  Galactus (5) or Thanos (6)
Upset:  While I don’t see too many upsets in this region, Apocalypse (10) over General Zod (7) is a possibility.

Nik:
            This one’s fun, like Matt said. Between this region and video games, it just feels like my childhood. These are debates had at school lunch tables all throughout my childhood. Regardless of whether it’s “who’s cooler”, “who’s more villainesque”, or “who’d win in a fight”, I am very excited to see what people think of it, and why they make the choices that they do.

This is tougher than I thought it’d be, honestly. Because a lot of these guys have come back into the mainstream in the recent years, making them more accessible.

Winner: Joker (2)
Sleeper: Loki (9)
Upset: I think we may see Ra’ Al Ghul (11) take Thanos (6) on this one.

Region two – Cartoons:

Matt:
            There were so many good villains in cartoons when I was growing up.  Making the list wasn’t as hard as trying to properly seed it.   

Winner:  Megatron (1)
Sleeper:  Shredder (3) – Not a true sleeper in the sense of a low seed, but if it’s not Megatron, I can easily see Shredder taking it, if for no other reason than sentimentality (pour one out for Uncle Phil).
Upset:  Watch out for Krang (7) to possibly upset Cobra Commander (2) in round two.

Nik:
            There are tons of Villains in here I’d like to see, but that can be said indefinitely, but I think the spread is very fair, over several decades and generations of cartoons.

Winner: Shredder (3)
Sleeper: Skeletor (4) – because I think he’s either gone on the first round, or sticks through to the end.
Upset: Snidely Whiplash (15) – because it’s one of the best villain names ever.

Region three - Movies:

Matt:
            Honestly, it just seems like this region is Darth Vader, and everyone Darth Vader will defeat, but you never know. There are some interesting choices here, including monsters, aliens and just really bad people.

Winner:  Vader (1)
Sleeper:  Dracula (6)
Upset:  While I don’t expect it to happen, how cool would it be if John Doe (15), Kevin Spacey’s character from Se7en takes out the Predator (2) in round one.

Nik:
            I think giving it to Vader immediately is not giving the rest of the baddies enough credit. I think there are some fantastic choices on here. I do think it’s not fair for Oogey Boogey to be going up against Vader so soon, though.

Winner: Sauron (4)
Sleeper: Gozer (14)
Upset: I think Freddy Kreuger (9) could actually take Darth Vader (1) in round 2, honestly.

Region four – Video Games:

Matt:
            This was a difficult region to seed, especially the top seeds.  In the end it came down to the fact that when you think of video game villain, your first thought is Bowser from Super Mario Brothers.  This may be the most wide open region though as most of the villains here have a distinct chance of winning the region.

Winner: Ganon (2)
Sleeper:  Goro (7)
Upset:  If Goro (7) can get past Ganon (2) in the second round, watch for him to go the distance.

Nik:
            Being a zealot for Zelda, I want to say Ganon will destroy. And I want that to happen. But I dunno if it will…

Winner: Bowser (1)
Sleeper: Pac Man Ghosts (16)
Upset: I can see King K. Rool (14) taking down Dr. Wiley (3) in the first round.

Matt’s Final Four:
Dr. Doom (1)
Megatron (1)
Darth Vader (1)
Ganon (2)

Projected Winner:  Vader takes care of Ganon and Dr. Doom finishes off Megatron in a close one, only to lose to Vader in the finale.  When I was putting this bracket together, that’s the scenario that popped into my head from the get-go, I can’t imagine it changing now.

Nik’s Final Four:
Joker (2)
Shredder (3)
Sauron (4)
Bowser (1)

Projected Winner: Joker takes down Shredder. Bowser takes down Sauron. And Joker bests Bowser in one of the coolest fights you’ve ever seen.


Okay, that’s the initial breakdown.  To vote, just leave the names of the winners in the comments section, email me at shrimpman53@yahoo.com, or find me on facebook.  Voting will be open from Monday through midnight eastern time on Friday.  After that the votes will be tallied and we’ll get you an updated bracket with further analysis the following Monday.  Feel free to print the brackets out, ask around, poll your friends on who they think should win, or just send them here to vote themselves.  Feel free to start a rousing discussion of who should win in the comments as well, those are always fun.  Let’s just keep it civil, no one should be calling anyone else a doody-head.

            We will be back later in the day today with a matchup-by-matchup breakdown and who we think will prevail.  Until then, happy voting!



No comments:

Post a Comment