Thursday, August 2, 2012

Comic Review - Think Tank #1


I have heard a lot of good things about the first Issue of Think Tank by Matt Hawkins and Rahsan Ekedal from Top Cow.  Always being one to give in to peer pressure, I figured I would give it a shot.  Let’s get right down to it:
Cover:
                The cover works well as an illustration.  Generally I like the cover to have more to do with the content of the book, but I do know that the first issue of any series generally has a more generic cover featuring the main character(s).  For that I give this one a pass.  While the cover doesn’t really tell you what is inside the book, it gives you an idea what’s inside the main character as the confidence and downright cockiness that Dr. David Loren has in himself and his ability can be seen in that smug look on his face.  In that respect, Ekedal got the characterization on the cover absolutely perfect. 
The coloring is great on the cover and the design is also successful, using multiple subtle lines to bring the reader’s attention to the focal point: Loren’s face and that smart-ass smirk that says a lot about the person that he is, as well as what being smarter than everyone else and engineering weapons of death and destruction for a living can do to someone’s psyche.
The only real issue that I have with the cover art is that the left hand of Loren looks a little small (and this is actually a chronic problem throughout the book as many of the characters’ hands/wrists appear abnormally slender).  That is not major and probably is not noticed by someone not looking for it.  However, the title is not entirely clear.   I knew what the cover to the first issue looked like so I easily located it on the shelf, but for those that did not know, or someone that was not necessarily looking for this book but just happened upon it on the shelf may skip right over it as the title fails to pop.  I would have suggested that there be no obstruction of the letters themselves, leaving them a stark white.  That would surely pop out against the background.

7/10 – The only thing that really knocks this down for a ten is the logo.  Other than that it is a fairly effective cover that is not only designed well, but executed well, especially the coloring.

Story:
                This is where Think Tank really shines.  I can honestly say that this took me a while to read (though to be fair I did have to stop frequently to help my four year old read his comic) but it is exactly the right amount of investment that I want to put into a comic.  I don’t want to pay three to four dollars for a book and finish it in less time than it takes me to take a shit.  There is no evident decompression here as this book is jam packed with content and it still leaves off at a great cliffhanger that makes me want to pick up the next issue right away.  Loren and the other characters are written consistently throughout the book and Matt Hawkins does a great job of making us feel for Loren as a victim of his own creation.  He is quite possibly the smartest person on the planet but he is not like some of the other, traditionally genius characters in comics; he is not a billionaire with his own private jets and portals to the negative zone. 
Loren is a government employee that has to deal with the moral quandary of being a creator of death dealing weaponry.  This takes the traditional “with great power comes great responsibility” superhero trope and brings it down to earth.  Instead of asking “what would Spiderman do?” it asks “what would you do?” because there is nothing truly fantastical and unbelievable about the content of this book    Sure, some of the technology exhibited here could be seen as a bit over the top, but it is not technology that is completely impossible as Hawkins does a great job of grounding everything in reality.   While there are only a few people that can identify with having David Loren levels of intelligence, that is still way more people than those that can identify with fighting Doctor Octopus on any given day. 
I love the fact that Loren’s “rivalry” with a fellow member of the think tank was not only mentioned, but actually expanded upon in the very same issue!  I know, novel idea, right.  Hawkins gives us the teaser and I remember at the time thinking to myself “I wonder how long it will be until we get to learn more of this story”.  Fear not, brain, for your answer is just a flip of the page away.  Hawkins could have probably milked that teaser for issues, but he didn’t, and I actually respect him more for it.
One of my favorite things about this book is that it does not feel like it is written as a movie test script.  It feels like it is written as a comic by someone that remembers when the majority of comics were good every month instead of just average.   This is an incredibly interesting and well written book and deserves to be picked up for the story alone.

10/10 – I loved the story and the jerk with a heart of gold that David Loren is so far.  Hawkins writes him, and the rest of the characters for that matter, realistically and convincingly, and it is really a job well done.

Art:
                This is where we start to run into some issues with the book.  Let me get this out of the way first though; I love the inkwash!  This is a breath of fresh air in a comic industry that is consumed by over coloring their comic books.  It is no coincidence in my mind that two of my favorite comics that have come out this year are Punk Rock Jesus and Think Tank, and neither have colored interiors.  That being said, I will reiterate that the colors on the cover (which I assume are by Brian Reber but if not I apologize) are quite good. 
                Ekedal does a great job of character design, and even the small things like giving Loren a five o’clock shadow adds to his representation as a “slacker genius”.  While the solid black line around every figure tends to flatten out the characters a bit, Ekedal does a good job of using the interior lines (just look at how he renders the aforementioned five o’clock shadow) to round out the characters into more three-dimensional beings. 
This is what I mean by big head and small hands/wrists


As I said earlier, it seems that Ekedal struggles with proportions just a bit as heads appear a touch too large in some panels as well as hands and wrists too small/slender.  This is not rampant throughout the book but it does break up the natural flow that Hawkins has created with the story as I found myself stopping and having to double-take a couple panels.  The biggest issue that I have with the art is that many of the characters look different from page to page, even panel to panel.  It is not that they are so off as to be completely unrecognizable but again, it is something that causes me to take pause and have to look back to make sure.

It took me until my second readthrough to determine that the character on the left might not be a younger version of David Loren (to be fair and prove that I am not just a big dummy, the entire page is full of Loren talking)  Regardless, I am not wild on how the eyes on the character on the left are drawn, but that's more a personal preference than anything.

Where is the top of his head?  This is some Andy Kubert proportions right here.

                Ekedal’s use of backgrounds and especially his use of the inkwash in the backgrounds is excellent.  He successfully uses the medium to differentiate the various planes (fore, middle, background and everything inbetween) and he seems incredibly comfortable in that medium which, as I said before, is a different and welcome take on how comics are rendered.
I love how everything here is clear even though it is all in various shades of grey.  Ekedal has shown that he has mastered the inkwash technique.

This may be one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite panel in the book.  There is so much going on but it is all clear and wonderfully designed.


I like the motion in the top panel and the emotion in the face of the character on the left.  However, David Loren looks concerned in the bottom panel which is not necessarily part of his character.  I would think that either a blank expression or a smug look of indifference would be more in line with how he is portrayed in the book, even in light of the threats that are levied against him.

7/10 – The art is quite good, and the issues that I have with it will in no way negatively impact my desire to purchase issue two.

Overall:
9/10 – Good art is paired with a great story.  It is definitely a comic that I will be following and hopefully a lot of others will as well, as Hawkins and Ekedal deserve time to build up more of their story.


No comments:

Post a Comment