Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Def Leppard is still doing what they do


-Matt Magill

            I think that the mantra for last Friday night had to be consistency.  That is the best way to describe the bands that played (I didn’t get to the show in time to see Lita Ford, anyone have a review on the opener?  Drop me a comment and let me know how she did).  Poison and Def Leppard have been around for a long time and this is not my first time seeing either band so I do have a baseline to go from for each. 
            Let’s start with Poison as they played first (an abbreviated hour long set that hit on the major hits of the group but still was able to throw in a decent guitar solo by CC and an uninspired drum solo that was sandwiched by a cover of Led Zeppelin’s “Moby Dick”).  It’s pretty sad when the cover is the highlight of the performance, but I think that is only because of the fact that I have seen Poison so many times (they always seem to be opening for the band that I want to see) and their performances are so consistent to the point of being robotic now.  This is not to say that Bret Michaels is any less energetic and appreciative than he was when I first saw them open for KISS back in ’04 (or ’05 I can’t remember), but there are only so many times that you can hear any of Poison’s catalogue of songs without hoping for something different to spice things up.  I think that is why I enjoyed the “Moby Dick”/drum solo interlude so much, because I had never heard it from the band before so it broke up the familiarity of the set.
            The musicianship was good except for Rikki Rocket on drums as he seemed to be more going through the motions than anything else.  Whereas Michaels really seemed to be feeding off of the energy that the crowd gave back to him (and there was quite the energy in the crowd as everyone knew every word to the songs that were played, especially since the band only played the hits) Rocket’s performance was not on par with the rest of the band.  That was the only real blip on the radar as the rest of the performance was solid.  Not spectacular but definitely not a bad concert.  The sound quality was better than Iron Maiden which proves to me that not all bands from the ‘80’s subscribe to the “turn everything up as loud as it will go and hope for the best” mantra.
            Aside from the drumming, the main problem I had with that performance (and this has nothing to do with the band itself) is just the simple act of seeing someone old enough to be my mother (or pretty close to it) singing “Talk dirty to me,” it just kind of creeps me out.  That being said, there were plenty of women at this show both young and old, so eye candy was not hard to come by.
            Now on to the headliners: Def Leppard.  I had not seen Def Leppard for nearly a decade (’02 or ’03 at the New York State Fair, and to be honest, this was before I was allergic to beer and I looked a lot older than my nineteen years of age.  I’ll let you do the math.)  A lot of what I remember from that show was obviously the hits as well as playing all of “side one” of the High and Dry album (remember when you used to have to flip over the record/cassette, damn I’m getting old).  Other than that (and the fact that our seats were way too expensive for the distance from the stage and being stuck right behind a support beam) nothing stood out as terrible about the performance.  I was able to go into this performance without the overindulgence of alcohol that dulled my senses the last time (not that I didn’t pregame in the parking lot with my “brother” [we’ve been best buds for twenty-five years, that’s pretty much brother status in my book] Donnie, we just didn’t down a whole bottle).  The performance started out ok, with the band playing their newest single “Undefeated” from the Mirrorball live disc.  It took the band a couple songs to get the sound quality up to par but at least the techs were tweaking it to get the best possible results unlike other concerts I have seen recently, cough-Maiden-cough.  By about the third song they were on a roll and the only other sound issues they had all night were after a break in the action whereupon we would be treated to a guitar/drum solo.  It would then take half a song to get the sound back to a cohesive unit. 
            The band, even after over thirty years in the business, is as tight as ever and each song of the set was studio quality.  The only real complaint, and this is a minor one, is that age has not treated the voices of any of the band members kindly.  Lead singer Joe Elliott is no longer able to hit the high notes that he has in the past and the rest of the band sounded slightly off key on their harmonies, just enough to make it noticeable.  To be perfectly honest it was not a big deal though, and really, Elliott could probably have taken the night off completely as the crowd sang every word to every song with as much volume and enthusiasm as if they had written the songs themselves.  Elliott worked with this as much as possible, especially when he was faced with the aforementioned high notes (such as in the chorus to “Bringin’ on the Heartbreak”) letting the crowd take those parts of the songs. 
            Other than that minor gripe, and really it’s something that can be said for pretty much every aging singer (with the exception of maybe Paul Stanley and Bruce Dickinson) the concert was great.  My favorite part of the night though was the brief acoustic medley.  It started with Elliott seated on what looked to be a crate the roadies use to haul equipment in with his acoustic guitar, strumming and singing the Rolling Stones’ “You can’t always get what you want”.  Now I don’t have a million dollars, so that is probably as close to a Rolling Stones concert as I am ever going to get and it was a good cover.  As he was playing that, other members of the band came out, all with acoustic guitars (except drummer Rick Allen who emerged with maracas) and they all sat on the crate next to Elliott, almost campfire “Kumbaya” style.  They then went through a medley of some of their softer hits.  While this did not get the same rise out of the crowd that the more energetic parts of the performance did, I enjoyed it more for its subtlety, intimacy and focus on the musicianship of the band.  The night closed with a one song encore (really?  Just one song?) of “Rock of Ages” which I guess is pretty appropriate considering that this was the Rock of Ages Tour, undoubtedly to piggyback on the movie of the same name. 
            Overall, this was a solid show from both bands.  There was nothing mind-blowingly spectacular, but there was also nothing about either performance that made me want my money back or desire to split early to beat the traffic.  If you get the chance, and you enjoy 80’s metal in the least bit, I would definitely suggest catching a Def Leppard show.  The crowd skews a little older but most people are around my age so that was definitely not a hindrance.  There was plenty of eye candy and only a few giant douches (which seemed to be way too close to Donnie and me for comfort).  But the general atmosphere of the show was great and only got better once the band really got going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment